The decision to pursue law is rarely straightforward. Becoming an effective attorney is a big financial, mental, and emotional decision that demands a genuine passion for advocacy and years of dedication. Thankfully, I’ve never felt a lack of passion for this career, one that always allows me the unique opportunity to reshape clients’ lives.
While completing my Bachelor’s degree at Texas A&M University, I worked as a legal assistant at a local family law office. There, I was exposed to the realities of the legal profession and the fact that it is often a deeply human experience. I quickly learned that great attorneys never lose sight of their client’s goals, emotional needs, and aspirations while proposing solutions to often complex issues. This initial experience showed me that becoming an attorney would be the path for me.
During law school, I pursued several advocacy experiences. Most memorably, I competed on the SMU Dedman School of Law 2018-19 ABA Arbitration Team. Not only did our team end up undefeated at the Regional ABA Arbitration Competition, but we went on to win the National Championship as well. This experience, as well as two seasons competing in the annual ABA Client Counseling Competition similarly reinforced my empathetic approach to the practice of law.
After receiving my license in October of 2019, I accepted an Associate Attorney position in complex civil litigation, representing clients through extortion, defamation, and invasion of privacy cases. This experienced allowed me to hone my litigation skillsets while supporting clients through trauma and frustration and the legal process. However, I found myself drawn back into family law, knowing that family law was the ultimate arena in which I could put my skills to use.
Connect with Karina
• Associate Attorney, Walters Gilbreath, PLLC, 2021–Present
• Associate Attorney, Hutcherson Law, 2020–2021
• Associate Attorney, Rick Davis & Associates, 2019
• Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law, J.D., 2019
- 2018-19 ABA Arbitration Competition, National Champion
- 2018-19 ABA Client Counseling Competition, Regional Semifinalist
- 2018-19 SMU Board of Advocates, Public Relations Director
- Women in Law, Member
• Texas A&M University, B.A., History, 2016
- Liberal Arts Distinguished Student
- University Honors Research Fellow
• Dallas Bar Association, Member
• Women in Law, Member
• Hometown: Plano, Texas
• Favorite sports team: Dallas Cowboys
• Labrador mix, Luna