I did not always want to be a lawyer. I’m told that, when I was young, I wanted to be an astronaut. Like many aspiring young space-explorers, I soon learned that few companies hired for that position. Thankfully, my interests grew as I did. While pursuing my Bachelor’s in Political Science at St. Edwards, I discovered a passion for advocacy. I felt called to service, and wanted to follow a career path that would allow me to help people every day.
I decided on law school, and embarked on my legal journey at Baylor Law in 2015. I knew that Baylor’s program not only provided an excellent academic foundation, but also emphasized trial preparedness and the skills needed to excel in life as a practicing attorney. During my time at Baylor, I worked with the Texas Lawyers Assistance Program, an organization dedicated to providing mental health and wellness resources to legal professions. I founded Baylor's TLAP chapter, the first of its kind at that school. Additionally, I enjoyed competing in Mock Trial, a program I continue to contribute to each year.
After receiving my license in 2018, I accepted a position as an associate practicing complex civil litigation. I enjoyed using my skillset to fight for solutions in business disputes, commercial fraud, technology and trade misappropriation, libel and defamation, and fiduciary litigation. I was particularly drawn, however, to direct client contact and mentorship. In the back of my mind, I knew that family law offered an unparalleled opportunity to directly support those in need every day. In 2021, I joined the Walters Gilbreath team, where I balance tenacious courtroom advocacy with a compassionate, human approach to family issues. I look forward to seeing how I can help you approach the future with confidence.
Connect with Kurt
• Associate Attorney, Walters Gilbreath, PLLC, 2021–Present
• Associate Attorney, Thomas Williams McConnell PLLC, 2018–2021
• Baylor University School of Law, J.D., 2018
- Texas Lawyers Assistance Program, Local Advocate
- State Bar of Texas Pro Bono College, Member
- Baylor Law Advocacy Program, Barrister
- Student Bar Association, Senior Representative
• St. Edward's University, B.A., Political Science, 2015
- Phi Sigma Alpha, National Political Science Honors Society
- Phi Alpha Delta, Pre-Law Academic Fraternity
• Third Place in 2012 New York City Comic Con Trivia Competition
• Proud parent of Mishka, Bernedoodle