“He knows the law very well, but even more so, he knows when to apply his views during trial so they have the maximum impact on the case.”
—Jay, Client of the Firm
Mstislav “Slav” Pedro Talavera-Karmanov,
Senior Associate Attorney
I graduated with dual degrees from the Arts & Sciences and the Business schools at Washington University and set out to find employment in the corporate workforce. I quickly found corporate life to be monotonous, so after a year of working in the business sector, I returned to school to study law.
In 2010 I graduated from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, and I immediately began litigating with Lone Star Legal Aid, handling cases under VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) grant work.
In these roles, I noticed that—regardless of the specific subject matter of the case—familial problems often caused, contributed to, or exacerbated the conflicts in question. If I could help spouses get out of potentially dangerous situations, I could not only help individuals to avoid or mitigate physical, mental, or financial injury, but I could also help to set them up for success post-divorce. I then set my sights on family law.
Advocating for those who have been ignored reminded me of the specific challenges many Americans face: it can be especially challenging to make your concerns heard when those around you don’t understand your language. Thanks to my upbringing, I speak Spanish, Russian, and English, and I can make my clients’ voices heard, whether or not they speak English.
Now, not only have I helped countless families as the Senior Associate of Waters Gilbreath’s Austin office, but I have a growing family of my own. My wife, Elizabeth, our toddler Dmitri, and our newborn Mikhail have helped me to understand the complexities and emotions of being a parent more than any case or legal argument ever could.
I look forward to guiding you through the legal system and making your voice heard.
• Senior Associate Attorney, Walters Gilbreath, PLLC, 2018–Present
• Attorney, The Law Office of Janet McCullar, P.C., 2017–2018
• Attorney at Law, Zinda & Davis, PLLC, 2015–2017
• Associate Attorney, The Carlson Law Firm, 2013–2014
• Staff Attorney, Lone Star Legal Aid, 2010–2013
• Southern Methodist University, J.D., 2007–2010
• Washington University in St. Louis, B.S., 2002–2006
• Super Lawyers – Texas Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2020
• Top 40 Under 40, The National Advocates, 2016—2018
• 10 Best Attorneys – Texas, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2015—2018
• Nationally Ranked Top 10 Under 40 – Family Law, National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, 2015—2016
• Lead Counsel Rating – Family Law, Lead Counsel Review Board, 2016
• License to Practice in the United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 2012
• License to Practice in the United States District Court, Southern District of Texas, 2012
• License to Practice in the United States District Court, Western District of Texas, 2011
• Interviewer, Washington University Alumnus Organization
• Member, SMU Law Alumnus
• Member, Beta Theta Pi Alumnus
• Member, Texas Trial Lawyers Association
• Member, Travis County Young Lawyers
• Member, Hispanic Bar Association of Austin
• Former President, Bell County Bar Association
• Member, Travis County Bar Association
• Hometown: Carl Junction (Joplin), Missouri.
• Favorite sports team: Chelsea F.C.
• Big fan of 90 Day Fiancé
• Born where there is now a level 4 – Do Not Travel advisory ban: Michoacan, Mexico.
• Father to two small children, Dmitri and Mikhail
• Played for the Austin Men’s Soccer Association
Meet the Rest of the Team