|Initial Consultation, by Phone or Virtual|
“Brian is, without a doubt, one of the best attorneys around. From our first phone conversation to the end of my case, Brian kept me informed every step of the way.”
—Peter, Client of the Firm
Brian Walters, Partner
Board Certified in Family Law
Texas Board of Legal Specialization
I’ve wanted to be a lawyer since I was a little kid helping my uncle at his law practice. But it wasn’t until a few years ago that I realized how important my calling is to someone going through what you are going through. I had to experience my own divorce, re-marry and then have my own kids, and been a client myself. Since then, I’ve been a better lawyer and matured into the advocate that I am today.
My upbringing prepared me to deal with all kinds of clients. I got to grow up all over the world and met all kinds of people from many different cultures and backgrounds. I learned about being an attorney from other lawyers in the family. I also learned about discipline and loyalty from my father (a Colonel in the U.S. Marine Corps) and about the devotion that should be dedicated to your family from my mom.
After graduating from Texas A&M in 1993, I went to the University of Texas Law School. While in law school, I worked 30 hours a week to make ends meet. My first job as an attorney was at a big firm in Austin. I learned professionalism and attention to detail. I learned what should be valued in life when the lawyer in the office next to me was killed in a car accident one day, leaving five young children fatherless.
Most of all, I learned that I wanted to work with my own clients in my own way and left that firm to start my own firm. I have never looked back and went straight to divorce and family law.
Several years later, I married. To the outside world, it seemed like we had the world at our feet. Appearances can be deceiving and marriage can be difficult. We divorced a few years later and it was a turning point in my life. Before that time, I had not experienced what my clients were living. Now I had.
Recently, I married again. Two children followed and I now know what a parent feels when they walk into my office. I know the fear, love, anger, and confusion they can carry when faced with a family crisis.
I’m a better lawyer than I’ve ever been and a better person, too.
Brian is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Connect with Brian
- Partner, Walters Gilbreath, PLLC, 2012—Present
- Partner, Walters & Turquand, LLP, 1997—2008
- Associate, Davis & Davis, PC, 1996—1997
- Law Clerk, Davis & Davis, PC, 1994—1996
- Law Clerk, Texas State Board of Medical Examiners, 1994—1994
- Law Clerk, Office Of The Attorney General Of Texas, 1993—1993
• University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1996
• Texas A&M University, B.B.A., 1993
• University of Copenhagen, Study Abroad, 1991
• Patch American High School, High School Diploma, 1988
• Client Choice Award, Avvo, 2013, 2016, 2019
• Top Contributor Award, Avvo, 2013—2014
• Super Lawyers – Texas Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2005
• Board Certification in Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2003
• Evan E. Worthing High School HISD
• Top Ladies of Distinction
• Washington Chapel MBC's Adopt-a-Family from disasters
• Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Member, 2016 – Present
• Houston Bar Association, Member, 2013—Present
• State Bar of Texas, Member, 1996—Present
• Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, Member, 2003—2019
• Austin Bar Association, Member, 1996—2014
• Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Member, 2003—2008
• Williamson County Bar Association, Member, 2000—2008
• Young Lawyers Club, Officer, 2005—2007
• Texas Young Lawyers Association, Member, 1996—2006
• University of Texas Mock Trial, Mock Trial Tactics, 2002
• University of Texas, Opportunities in the Legal World, 2000
• University of Texas School of Law, Family Law Updates, 1996
• Texas Attorney General Publications, A Guide to Texas Child Support Law, 2004