Many factors go into determining custody. Courts will look at the many factors when deciding who will be awarded custody.
The court will consider the following factors:
- The best interest of the child;
- Past parental involvement/participation in the child’s life;
- How much the parents can co-parent regarding visitation and access to the child;
- The stability of a household;
- Consistency in the child’s life (Courts try to avoid disrupting the child’s current routine as much as possible);
- Abuse, abandonment, or criminal backgrounds of the parties; and
- The child’s wishes (12 years old and older)
Use this chart we created to help you determine your chances of winning custody:
If you are concerned about the custody and possession of you children, contact an experienced lawyer right away.